The University of Melbourne
Law School Building, Level 10
185 Pelham Street,
Carlton, Vic, AUSTRALIA
The University of Melbourne is proud to host the “21st Century Norbert Wiener Conference” on the theme “Thinking Machines in the Physical World.” The event takes place on 13-15 July 2016.
View additional interactive University maps here.
About the University
Established in 1853, the University of Melbourne is a public-spirited institution that makes distinctive contributions to society in research, teaching and engagement.
Melbourne’s teaching excellence has been rewarded two years in a row by grants from the Commonwealth Government’s Learning and Teaching Performance Fund for Australian universities that demonstrate excellence in undergraduate teaching and learning.
Melbourne was also one of only three Australian universities to win ten citations-the maximum number of awards possible-under the Carrick Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning. The citations recognise commitment by university staff who have shown outstanding leadership and innovation in teaching, and dedication and enthusiasm for student learning.
To learn more about the University history, please visit: www.unimelb.edu.au/about/history/
Melbourne School of Engineering
In 2011 the Melbourne School of Engineering celebrated 150 years of engineering education at The University of Melbourne. We are the oldest engineering faculty in Australia, and have come a long way from our modest beginnings in 1861 with 15 students enrolled. Today, we are a vibrant engineering community, drawn from over 100 countries, with a network of alumni nearly 25,000 strong.
There is no public parking available on the Main Campus during business hours (Midnight to 5:00pm Monday to Friday), however there are a few public parking options near to the University of Melbourne, Parkville Campus:
University Square Car Park Entry
Enter either 244 Bouverie St or 206 Berkeley St (just off Grattan Street). Click here for Map
Hours: 6:00am to 10:00pm Monday to Sunday
Cost: Flat rate of $20.00 per day. $8.00 after 5:00pm Monday to Friday and weekends.
Availability: During semester the car park ﬁlls and closes to public parking, normally around 9:00am to 9:30am.
Eastern Precinct Underground Car Park Entry
375 Cardigan Street, near the corner of Elgin Street
Hours: 7:00am to 7:00pm on weekdays
Cost:$8.00 for 4 hours, or $17.00 for all day. $5.00 after 5:00pm Monday to Friday and weekends
Availability: This car park currently does not ﬁll, this may change in the future
Cafes, Restaurants and Pubs near the Venue
The Lygon Street area to the east of the University precinct, the city centre and Southbank offer cuisine covering all tastes and budgets. The area surrounding the University is best known for Italian-style cafes and restaurants accustomed to catering for budget-conscious students, but check prices before ordering.
Chinatown, centered on Little Bourke Street east of Swanston Street is a diverse Asian precinct with many good places to eat. On the southern bank of the Yarra River the Southbank complex has many restaurants with splendid night-time views of the City and the river, as does Crown Casino. Federation Square on the corner of Flinders Street and Swanston Street is well worth a visit and also contains a fine gallery of Australian art.
- Bacio Dolce, 660 Swanston Street Carlton
- Baretto Espresso Bar, Corner Grattan Street and Barry Street, Carlton
- Bouverie Deli and Sandwich Bar, 154 Bouverie Street, Carlton
- Domino’s Pizza, Shop 2, 121 Grattan Street Carlton
- Lesley’s Deli and Catering, 199 Lygon Street Carlton
- New Land Chinese Restaurant, 189 Lygon Street Carlton
- QB’s Café, 261 Queensberry Street Carlton
- Marks Place (Pizza and Pasta Bar), 680 Swanston Street Carlton
- Noodle Box, Grattan Street, Carlton
- Pearl’s Café, 196 Pelham Street Carlton
- The Corkman Irish Pub, 160 Leicester Street, Carlton
- The Element, Corner Pelham Street and Swanston Street
- The Plough and Harrow, Corner Pelham Street and Swanston Street
- Tigerlily Café, 111-113 Grattan Street, Carlton
- China Bar, 747-751 Swanston Street, Carlton
- Foodbowl (Singapore), Shop 101D, 604 Swanston Street, Carlton
- The Red Capsicum, 259 Queensberry Street, Carlton
- Toki Japanese Restaurant, 88 Grattan Street, Carlton